The following was sent out in an email today by Minnesota Valley Electric Coop to its customers. With temperatures reaching close to triple digits, whether you have MVEC as a utility provider or not, please heed the following:
- Choose meals that don't contribute additional heat to your home (use a microwave or outdoor grill instead of an oven)
- Delay running the dishwasher until after 10 p.m.
- Delay washing clothes until after 10 p.m.
- Turn off excess lights and keep curtains and draperies closed
- Turn off computers and other electrical equipment when not in use.
- Avoid leaving doors open for extended periods of time
- If you're using an air conditioner, turn your thermostat up a couple degrees to save energy
- Consider traveling to a nearby mall, movie theater or restaurant to beat the heat